No, I am not a Tufts alum, but it turns out that many of the university's alumni networking events are actually open to the public. Last night the Tufts Environmental Alumni hosted a career panel during which four successful environmentalists shared their experiences and advice. I went with my sister (who actually did go to Tufts) to check it out. The panel included:
Darien Crimmin, VP of Energy & Sustainability for WinnCompanies
Stephen A. Sakakeeny, Principal, SAK Environmental, LLC
Susan L. Santos, Founder & Owner of FOCUS GROUP Consulting
Alison Simcox, Air Quality Scientist, EPA Region 1
Top 5 takeaways from the event:
1. Be a practical visionary.
2. Asses your skills and then create a plan to execute your vision.
3. Find a practical way to distinguish yourself from other candidates.
4. Do it all; never turn down an opportunity that intrigues you.
5. Become a master of rational scientific thought.