image courtesy of Earth Day Network
Friday, October 31, 2014
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Former Boston Mayor, Thomas Menino, passed away this morning. During his 20+ years as leader of the city, Menino did many great things - including great strides in sustainability and climate change preparedness. Though we'll miss Menino, his legacy will live on for years. We are ever grateful for everything he did for Boston.
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Here are some easy ways to see energy savings on your bill this winter! Start before November, and you'll get the best results.
1. Install temporary window film to blog out the cold.
2. Make blankets easily accessible for all of the places you spend the most time at home.
3. Make a habit of opening blinds during the day and closing them after the sun goes down.
4. Insulate your water heater to keep it from losing heat.
5. In the winter, you'll likely take warmer showers - use a timer to make them as efficient as possible.
6. Use a draft blocker for leaky doors.
7. Dress appropriately, you really shouldn't be comfortable in a T-shirt indoors when it is freezing outside. Dressing appropriately will allow you to turn the thermostat down a bit.
8. Create a sense of warmth with solar powered candles and a cup of tea.
Monday, October 27, 2014
source image courtesy of The Sweetest Occasion
- Register for Tuesday's Boston Green Drinks meetup
- Stock up on ethical chocolates for Halloween
- Make a green goal list for Fall
- Have a bunch of home projects in the works? Review how to update your kitchen with the environment in mind
Friday, October 17, 2014
Thursday, October 16, 2014
In honor of Fair Trade Month, I am sharing some of my favorite fairly-traded beauty products! When we think of fair trade, we often think of chocolate, coffee, and sometimes jewelry - but some of our go-to beauty ingredients, like shea, are grown abroad where farmers and tradesmen and women are not paid fairly for their work. Do your part by supporting companies that ethically source their skincare products. My favorites include:
Shea Yeleen Lavender Honeysuckle Body Butter (non profit company!)
Everyday Shea Body Lotion (widely available - try Whole Foods or Follain)
Fair Squared Lip Balm (foreign fav)
Lush Fair Trade Foot Lotion (a classic cabinet staple)
what are your favs?
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Love sustainable design? Cutting edge architecture? Non toxic living? Check out the Behind the Walls Magazine kickstarter campaign. I've read through their three issues so far and am loving it! It is like a sustainability-focused Architectural Digest, featuring has diverse content like spotlights on innovative companies, products, and people making a difference in the field. They've partnered with The Wall Street Journal for distribution, but are now looking to take the next step and gain an independent audience. A $25 donation to their kickstarter will give you a 1 year subscription to the magazine! They also have a fantastic website which I highly recommend adding to your RSS reader.
Lets wish them lots of luck - we are anticipating many more informative issues!