image courtesy of icoolhunt.com
1. Make a packing list, and check it twice (don't want to have to buy an extra toothbrush or deodorant!)
2. Get to town in a sustainable method. Take a bus or train down to NYC, and opt for the subway instead of a cab.
3. Pack light. Light-as-possible bags reduce the amount of fuel needed for a bus/cab.
4. Tell the clerk: "no receipts". What is a trip to NYC without a little shopping? Reduce paper consumption by skipping the receipt.
5. Pack a day bag wisely. Don't go out without bringing a reusable shopping bag and a drink tumbler/mug.
6. Choose eco-aware restaurants and boutiques, and eat vegetarian on the trip.
7. Plan the day out ahead of time to avoid unnecessary travel.
8. Think twice before purchasing anything.