Q. What is lead and how do I become exposed to it?
A. Lead is a toxic substance present in our environment in small amounts and everyone is exposed to some lead from daily actions such as inhaling dust, eating food, or drinking water. In general, the small exposure to lead within the U.S. population does not pose a significant public health concern. However, exposure to larger amounts of lead can cause lead poisoning.
Lead poisoning in children has been linked to:
Pottery not listed above that was made in commercial factories for everyday use is much less likely to have problems related to lead.