navigation

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Suggestion: Four Fish by Paul Greenberg

image courtesy of Fourfish.org

I am halfway through Four Fish by Paul Greenberg, and I'm not even going to wait until I'm done to recommend it - I can already tell you it is a must-read! It is a detailed explanation of how salmon, bass, cod, and tuna became our four main food fish and the environmental consequences of a globalized seafood industry. Seafood is one of our healthiest animal food choices, but we are running many species to extinction, leaving fish farming and genetic engineering as the only viable way to feed human populations. I especially admire Greenberg's ability to look at the issues from many angles. After reading the first few chapters, I feel as though I have a well-rounded knowledge of things like salmon farming and "fair trade" seafood. 

image courtesy of pages.vassar.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment