navigation

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

6 Green Goals for Fall

Fall weather has returned to Boston overnight. I'm a little sad about saying goodbye to summer, but fall brings around some great green living opportunities. Here are a few of my fall-specific goals for this year:

1. Pick My Own - So many fruits and vegetables are in season in New England at this time of year, and I'd love to get out to the suburbs and pick my own apples, pumpkins, and maybe grab some squash from my parents veggie garden! Heading to farm stands in the suburbs is a great way to eat locally and support local agriculture. 

2. Have a Green Halloween - my goal is to not purchase anything new for my costume, but instead, to trade and  sew my own. 

3. Skip the Heat - I'm not turning up my thermostat until it is absolutely necessarily, thereby cutting my carbon footprint and saving myself some major cash.

4. Stick to Skin Deep Database Recommendations - the cold dry air is pretty damaging to my skin, so now is the time of year to stock up on paraben-free moisturizers. My goal is to only purchase skin products rated 2 or lower on the Skin Deep Database. 

5. Have a Mug Ready - As I switch from iced to hot coffee and put my cold tumbler away for the season, I need to remember to carry around my hot coffee mug! 

6. Wear Sunscreen - just because it isn't hot out anymore doesn't mean the sun isn't damaging your skin. I've been good about wearing my Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen everyday, and I'm not going to give it up just because its fall. 

What are you're green goals for fall? I'd love to hear how you're staying sustainable this season!


1 comment:

  1. Nice reminder on the sunscreen - and making your costume instead of buying one made out of plastic and wrapped in plastic!

    ReplyDelete