This just in from our friends at the Nature Conservancy:
BOSTON, MA — Tired of giving gifts you know people will never use? This year, skip the shopping and give gifts that do more than decorate a shelf or hang in a closet. Join The Nature Conservancy and give green!
Not only are green gifts meaningful and responsible, but you’ll avoid the worst part of the holidays: Long lines at the shopping mall, endless circles around the parking lot for a spot, and running out of wrapping paper on Christmas Eve. Green gifts will not only delight and excite, but they help conserve the lands and waters we love!
Consider breaking the cycle this year. Below are some ideas for green gifts:
· Give education - Sponsor a LEAF intern! Last summer, The Nature Conservancy partnered with the Boston Green Academy to provide conservation internships to local students. Six students were selected for paid summer internships through the national Leaders in Environmental Action for the Future (LEAF) program and placed in the Berkshires and Martha’s Vineyard. Read about their experiences. Through the LEAF program, urban youth gain direct hands-on environmental stewardship experience, work with mentors and scientists, and a summer immersed in nature. Your gift of $60 could pay a LEAF intern’s stipend for a day.
· Give Experience – Experience gifts are great for that person who has everything, and they’re a fantastic way to support local businesses. Experiences like a language class or a gift certificate to your local yoga studio are gifts that will continue to give long after the holidays have passed! Have a fellow nature lover on your list this year? Check out our upcoming events to find hikes and lectures throughout Massachusetts that you can attend together!
· Give a Gift Membership – You can give a green gift they will love! Delight friends and family and share your interest for environmental conservation with this perfect gift. Your gift recipient will receive a year's worth of our quarterly, award-winning Nature Conservancy magazine and will be able to enjoy your gift all-year long. Learn more about what you get with a membership.
· Give a Handmade Gift – Chances are, the gifts your family members have saved and cherished over the years are the ones you made yourself as a child. Surprise them by doing it again! Chose a simple craft, like cloth napkins or handmade cards, and make one for everyone on your list. Turning your annual shopping day to your annual crafting day is not only more personal, it’s also lighter on the packaging waste that goes along with most gifts. Already into DIY? Share your ideas with us!
· Give Conservation – There are many ways to give conservation through The Nature Conservancy’s Green Gift Guide. Protect what you care about most. With the Conservancy’s Adopt an Acre program, you can conserve lands and waters in East Africa, Brazil, Australia, Costa Rica, the United States and even coral reefs!
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working around the world to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. The Conservancy and its more than 1 million members have protected nearly 120 million acres worldwide. Visit The Nature Conservancy on the Web at www.nature.org/mass