navigation

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Saving Massively with MassSave

This year I am participating in an educational outreach program for bloggers with MassSave! In addition to providing bloggers with facts and amazing media opportunities, MassSave also sent this huge box of energy efficient products. 


In the box were about 7 different types of eco-friendly lightbulbs. Since I already switched from incandescent bulbs to compact flourescents (CFLs), I wasn't sure when I'd need to replace any of my bulbs. CFLs last 10x longer than incandescents and use 75% less energy! So if a light for about 3 hours a day, the bulb will last 5-7 years. But, what I didn't realize, was that the light in the hallway outside my apartment was NOT a CFL, and sure enough, it burnt out last week, giving me a chance to re-open my box of Mass Save goodies and take a look at which option would be best for the hallway. 


I ended up choosing a 20 watt general purpose bulb (equivalent to a 75 watt incandescent bulb.) And my hallway is beautiful and bright once again. It is also good to know that I am reducing fire hazards by changing the lightbulb, because CFLs generate 75% less heat, and in my opinion, don't break as easily as incandescents. Just by changing that lightbulb, I also saved my landlord about $50 on her electric bill over the course of the lightbulb's life. Not too bad! 


I also absolutely love that the side of the lightbulb box had "Lighting Facts" set up the same way as the "Nutrition Facts" are on food products. It made the label so easy to read!

Visit MassSave for more energy saving tips and eco ways to save money!




No comments:

Post a Comment