source image courtesy of Beauty High
On Just Us Gals, I've been posting a monthly series about non-toxic makeup and beauty products, that I thought would be very appropriate for Boston Green Blog readers too! Here is what you need to know: The U.S. only bans 11 ingredients from cosmetic products, while the E.U. bans over 1,000. The average American woman uses about 15 cosmetic products per day, which exposes her to small doses of some potentially harmful chemicals on a regular basis. While most of these chemicals probably won't make you sick, it is better to be safe than sorry! Am I right?! Here is how you can reduce your exposure:
- Use non-toxic acne treatments, toners, and coverup
- Use a non-toxic sunscreen (especially if you use products with topical vitamin A)!
- Use non-toxic lipsticks (the average woman unintentionally eats more than a pound of lipstick in her lifetime)
- Try non-toxic shampoos & conditioners
- Use a non-toxic night cream (important, since these stay on your skin for a long period).
And of course, let me know about your favorite products in comments or on twitter!