navigation

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why to Avoid Artificial Fragrances

In almost all of my beauty product reviews on Boston Green Blog, I mention fragrance as a "con". I try to avoid artificial fragrances, and here is why:

-The word "fragrance" on an ingredient list signifies an undisclosed mixture of chemicals. (The industry uses 3,000+ different chemicals to create scents)
-Depending what is in the mixture determines how harmful it is, but there is no way to tell from the label.
-Some fragrance mixtures irritate allergies, and cause respiratory problems.
-Some of the chemical fragrance mixtures have the potential to damage reproductive systems in both men and women.
-"Fragrance" is rated an 8 on the EWG SkinDeep Database - a high hazard.
-A fair amount of research has been done on this topic, and consumer advocates are using this evidence to push for more appropriate labeling (companies do not have to label fragrance ingredients now due to a legal loophole).
-The average parfum is created with 14 different chemicals that are not listed on the ingredient label.

I wouldn't eat something without knowing what it was, so why would I spread something all over my skin, or spray something onto myself without knowing what it is, or what potential dangers it holds?!


image courtesy of news.jrn.msu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment