navigation

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, June 27, 2011

RRR: Don't Replace, Repair!

I will admit that I can be a sucker for "fast fashion" (meaning cheap clothes from places like H&M and Forever21). It is a bad habbit because the clothes are poor quality and aren't meant to last a long time, which means that they enter the waste stream faster and have a larger carbon footprint than higher quality clothing. I've tried to be better about staying away from fast fashion, and take care of the fast fashion items I already own. I try to make them last longer by air-drying them and washing them in cold water so that the colors don't fade. However, probably one of the best green skills to have if you are a fast fashion addict is to know how to sew!

Last weekend one of my super cheap handbags ripped. I was so disappointed, but instead of throwing it away, I was able to salvage it with a bit of needle and thread. As long as you don't look too closely at the stitching...it looks as good as new!

2 comments:

  1. Mr. BF gave me an awesome sewing machine a few years back and I still dont know how to use it! I really need to learn instead of paying lots to a tailor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cameron, The more I read your blog, the more I realize being green could save me so much money!! haha. I am loving it.

    @Kristen, I am the same way! Sewing machine from grandma, yet I know my tailor a little too well =)

    ReplyDelete